Do you want to live the AMAZING adventure of having to swim with sharks? So, you have to travel to South Africa as this is where the most sharks are in its waters. In addition, due to the low temperatures and currents in this part of the world, it is here where you can find one of the most amazing and precious shark species on Earth: the great white shark.
At Infobusstop.com, we want you to enjoy this experience to the fullest and, therefore, in this article we are going to discover where to swim with sharks in South Africa by indicating the best places, as well as some tips that you should take into account. Live an unforgettable adventure!
- Gansbaai, the best place to see white sharks in South Africa
Are you ready to live the adventure of your life? If the answer is YES, then you have to start organizing everything to be able to dive underwater with sharks . For this, it is essential that you know where to swim with sharks in South Africa since, in this country, there are many places where you can dive, but not all of them are equally recommended.
Of all the places in South Africa where you can see sharks, one of the best known is Gansbaai and, in fact, it is from here that the vast majority of sea voyages depart to see sharks in their natural habitat.
This city is located 2 hours from Cape Town and is considered the White Shark Capital of the World. The reason is that a large number of sharks live in its waters, so it is almost certain that, during your journey, you will be able to see them and bathe with them (if you want!). If you do not feel like getting into the water you should know that from the same boat you can also observe these impressive animals that will leave you with your mouth open.
Why is it the best place to swim with sharks?
Basically because, here, you will find a wide range of companies that specialize in offering these dives and, therefore, you can do the excursion whenever you want. But, in addition to this, in the waters of Gansbaai there is an island that is the natural habitat of the seals, the favorite delicacy of the whites, therefore it is more likely that you will find a specimen prowling its waters.
Besides, the best thing about the adventure companies in this area is that they allow you to live this experience without the need for you to know scuba diving. How is it possible? Because the cage is attached to the side of the boat, so you can stick your head out to breathe. For this reason, to swim with sharks in South Africa is an activity that, although it seems very risky, can be done by anyone who wants to.
Practical information on this activity:
- Boats Depart Daily From Gansbaai Roadstead
- June to September is the southern winter and sharks are more likely to be spotted because they are more active
- In the summer time, visibility under water is much better although, on occasions, the water can be greenish in color, which can make it difficult to see.
How to get there? You can get there from Cape Town in a journey of 200 km. It is best to stay overnight in towns like Hermanus to avoid too many hours in the car
Price : the price of this experience may vary depending on the company. But on average this activity usually costs about €120 / person
Other Good places to swim with sharks in South Africa
Although Gansbaai is the best known and most popular place when it comes to swimming with sharks in South Africa, you have to know that there are other less known alternatives that are also perfect to come face to face with this powerful animal. Here we leave you the 2 other best options in the country that will allow you to enjoy an unforgettable experience.
2. Mossel Bay, recommended to see white sharks
You will find this bay on the road between Port Elisabeth and Hermanus. Here, you will find a path that runs along the coastline and has impressive cliffs full of charm. In addition, the route is worth it because, along the way, you will meet picturesque and very indigenous villages.
In Mossel Bay you can also swim with sharks in South Africa and, in addition, you can find cheaper prices. Also, as it is less known, this place is less crowded so the experience can be more intense and memorable.
3. Durban, surf and sharks in South Africa
In Durban you can also see sharks and also enjoy a destination that is one of the favorites for surfers from around the world. The best way to get to this city is by internal flight as it has an airport. In case you travel with time, you can make the journey by car along the coast for about 5 or 6 hours.
In this town you can dive with sharks and also marvel at its seabed. In fact, in Umkomaas there is a Coral reef that is full of biodiversity and marine fauna. The prices are also cheaper and, in addition, if you do not see sharks, they will refund your money.
5 Things you should know if you want to see sharks in South Africa
Now that you know where to swim with sharks in South Africa, we think it is important that you take into account some basic aspects of this experience. Here we leave you a list with the most important:
- Cold waters: it is important that you know that the waters of South Africa are cold, VERY cold. Therefore, to be able to do the dive, you must first equip yourself with a neoprene suit that will protect you from the cold.
- Information session: obviously, before you get into the cage with sharks, the experts will give you an information session on security measures, biodiversity, etc.
- Duration of the activity: normally, this experience usually lasts from 3 to 5 hours, depending on whether you find the sharks quickly or if you have to look for them longer.
- For the whole family: Age is boy a barrier. People from 6 years old to 80 years old can do this activity in South Africa since no diving courses, certificates or qualifications are needed. You just have to hold your breath to see the great white live and direct.
- Complete experience: Besides swimming with sharks, during these crossings through the ocean it is also common to meet many other native animals such as African penguins, migratory birds, seals, etc.