More Than 30 People Killed As Unknown Gunmen Attack Market in Sokoto
More than 30 people have been killed as unknown gunmen attacked a local market in Sokoto State. According to the state government, the attack was carried out by bandits who overran the market on Sunday evening. The attack occurred at the Goronyo market in the Goronyo LGA of the Eastern Senatorial District of the state.
Muhammad Bello, spokesman for the state government, revealed that the exact death toll could not be ascertained, but more than 30 bodies had been recovered thus far. He said bandits had become very active in Sokoto since the Nigerian Army began flushing them out of neighbouring Zamfara State.
The military intensified air and ground operations against terrorists to destroy their activities, while the state governments in the region also shut down telecom services to disrupt communication among the gangs. This has caused the insurgents to begin to move to neighbouring areas where they unleash terror on unsuspecting and innocent citizens.
“We’re faced and bedeviled by many security challenges in our own area here, particularly banditry, kidnapping and other associated crimes,” Bello said, and revealed that Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal requests “the presence of more forces in the state and the deployment of more resources.”
In September, gunmen attacked the Ungwan Lalle market in Sabon Birni LGA and killed 19 people. The bandits had also attacked a military base in Dama village and killed 17 soldiers in what the government believed could have happened with the support of ISIS jihadists.
When contacted for comments on the recent incident, the Sokoto State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Sanusi Abubakar, said he has not been briefed but would inquire to learn what happened. “I’ve not been officially briefed; I will get back to you soonest,” he said.