The United States of America, USA, is the dream country of many Nigerians. Not just Nigerians, it’s also the dream country of citizens in several other countries. Every year, thousands of Nigerians apply for US visas and while some succeed, others don’t.
Are you playing on travelling to the United States? This article will be explaining how to apply for a US visa in Nigeria. The reason why many Nigerians don’t succeed in their visa applications is because they do it wrongly. If you know what’s involved in the visa application, the process will be a lot easier for you.
The first thing you have to know is that there are so many types of visas. The visa to apply for will depend on the reason you’re going to the United States. All the different types of visas are in two categories. Check them out below.
Types of US Visas
1. Immigrant visas
A Immigrant visa will grant you permanent residency in the United States. If you’re a Nigerian and also a United States citizen, you can easily get an immigrant visa. If you’re not a US citizen you can apply for US citizenship by naturalization if your visa is granted. It’s important to note that immigrant visas are very difficult to acquire.
2. Nonimmigrant visas
Non-immigrant visas are the common visas you see people apply for. Most people who go to the US to school, vacate, attend business trips, etc all go with a non-immigrant visa. The visa allows you to travel to the United States for a limited number of days, months, or years as the case may be.
With that covered, here are the requirements to get a US visa.
US Visa Requirements
The following are required for a US visa application;
- Passport photographs. These must be colored photos and they must meet the US visa photo requirements. You need at least two
- International passport. Of course, you need a Nigerian international passport that should be valid for up to six months from the date you’re supposed to return.
- Previous passport. If you’ve travelled to the US before, it might help your chances of getting a visa. Hence you might need to show your previous passport pages.
- DS-160 form. US visa application requires that you complete the DS-160 form online. After applying, print the confirmation page with the barcode
- Appointment confirmation. You’ll be required to present your appointment confirmation before you can be attended to.
- Bank statement. Your bank statement is needed to prove that you have the required funds to reside in the US. Other financial documents may be requested as well
- Payment receipt. There’s a visa application fee which you’ll have to pay. Your receipt will be needed
- Other supporting documents. If you’re going to school, you’ll need to show your admission letter. If you’re going to work, you’ll need to show your employment letter and so on.
US Visa Fee Cost
The charge for applying for a US visa isn’t fixed. It depends on what type of visa you are applying for. For example, most nonimmigrant visas cost $160 (N66,000 – Sixty Six Thousand Naira Only) meanwhile work and religious visas cost up to $190 (N78,375.00 – Seventy Eight Thousand Three Hundred and Seventy Five Naira).
After you finish applying for your visa, you can make the fee payment online. Otherwise, you can pay at a bank branch and the best bank to pay to in Nigeria is GT bank. The receipt you get after paying will be required at the embassy as mentioned earlier.
How to apply for a US Visa
The below steps will walk you through how to apply for a US visa.
1. Pick your visa type
As discussed earlier, there are immigrant and non-immigrant visas. Nonimmigrant visas are also of so many different types. It’s important to apply for the correct visa because the wrong visa choice will automatically void your application.
2. Create your profile
You have to create a profile on the US visa database. It is with this profile that you’re going to apply for your visa. Creating your profile is easy and you can do that on the website. When you load the page, select New User and enter all the registration details. Take note of your login details.
3. Fill the DS-160 form
The DS-160 form is the US visa application form. You can access it from the official website –https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/. The form has so many guidelines considering what information to provide and how to provide them. It’s important that you enter all details accordingly. Once you submit, you should copy your form number.
4. Pay for the visa
Your visa application will only be logged and then you’ll get an interview date if you pay your visa fee. The cost of the visa fee and how you can pay have been covered earlier.
5. Schedule your interview
You can schedule an appointment with the embassy from your account. You’ll find the option at the left side of the page. If you’re not yet chanced to attend the interview, don’t schedule it. Otherwise, click on the option and complete the short form. At the end, select the schedule appointment and you’ll see your appointment date and time. Print the page and take it along with you.
6. Go for the interview
Last but not least, attend the interview. You should prepare very well for it as you’ll be asked some questions and your responses could determine if your visa will be accepted or not. If your application is successful, you’ll get your visa delivered to your address or you’ll be asked to come pick it up at the embassy.
The process of applying for a US visa can be long but, you can make it less difficult by doing the right thing. If you have a serious reason to travel to the US, apply at least 3 to 4 months forehand.